Naturalization process for military members and their spouses

The Military Members Guide to Citizenship Application

  • Read this guide in its entirety. Reading and understanding this guide is the first step in the naturalization process for military members and their spouses. Some naturalization requirements are difficult to understand and many people have questions about naturalization. If you read this guide before beginning the naturalization process, many of your questions will be answered. An understanding of this guide will prepare you for application, and better-prepared applications will result in faster processing times. It is the member’s responsibility to enter the naturalization process fully informed and ready to provide the necessary information and documents.

  • Complete the Naturalization Eligibility Worksheet. This only applies to members who are applying based on five years as a Legal Permanent Resident (See section titled "Completing Your Application and Getting Photographed"). Complete the eligibility worksheet available at your ACS Customer Service Section to decide if you are eligible to apply for naturalization. If you do not meet all the requirements, you may save both time and money by waiting until you are eligible to apply. If you complete the eligibility worksheet and have questions about your eligibility, you should seek advice by:

    1. Going to an INS information counter
    2. Contacting a community immigrant assistance organization, or
    3. Talking to an immigration attorney.

Obtain an Application for Naturalization (Form N-400)

Once you have completed the eligibility worksheet and believe you are eligible for naturalization, you should obtain an application. The application is called the "Application for Naturalization" (Form N-400). You may obtain an N-400 at your ACS Customer Service Section, by calling the INS Forms Line (1-800-870-3676) or by downloading it from the internet at

Completing your Application and Getting Photographed

Complete your application

Once you have an N-400, you must fill it out completely. Part 2 of the form has a large influence on the amount of time it takes to process your application. Most military members will check block "a" or "b", depending on whether or not you meet the 5-year Permanent Resident requirement. If you do not meet the 5-year Permanent Resident requirement and check block "d", you must complete Forms N-426 ("Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service") and G-325B ("Biographic Information). If you meet the 5-year Permanent Resident requirement, check block "a" because the N-426 and G-325B are not required which will shorten processing time. INS may ask for additional information if you leave it out of your application which will delay the processing. Please be aware that you will be required to answer questions about your application at your interview. When completing your application, you should answer all questions honestly.

Get two photographs taken

You must include two color photographs with your application. If photographs are not sent with your application, INS will return the application. Your photographs should be the same size as the sample below.

homeland security

The photographs must also be

  • Unmounted and printed on thin paper, on white background with a ¾ profile view of the right side of your face; and

  • Taken within 30 days of the date they are sent to INS

  • our head should also be bare (unless you are required to wear a headdress by a religious order).

Print your name and "A" number lightly in pencil on the back of each photograph. For more information on the photograph requirements, see the single page titled "Color Photograph Specifications" located at your ACS Customer Service Section.

Collect the necessary documents

You will need to include copies of several documents with your application. Use the checklist on the following link: (checklist) to make sure you include the right documents. Please be sure to send an English translation with any document that is not already in English. The translation must include a statement from the translator that he or she is competent to translate and that the translation is correct.

Important Checklist

The attached checklist will tell you when you need to send original documents and when you may send copies. If you must send an original document to INS, remember to make and keep a copy for your records. Click on the following link: checklist.

Bring your application, documents,and fee to the Military Personnel Customer Service Section.

The Military Personnel Unit will review your package and fill out the N-426 verifying your service dates and will mail the G-325B to Ft Meade for the background check (Note: Members applying based on five years as a Permanent Resident are exempt from submitting the N-426 and G325B. If you try to take or mail your application to a local INS office, it will be returned to you. The fee you must send with your application is on the "Current Naturalization Fees" sheet available on the INS home page at If you are unable to pay the required fees, you may request a fee waiver in accordance with INS guidelines which are detailed at the INS web site identified above.

Getting Fingerprinted

The following are the steps required to have your fingerprints taken:

  • Receive an appointment letter from INS. Once INS receives your application, you will receive a letter from INS telling you where and when to have your fingerprints taken. In most cases the letter will tell you to go to an Application Support Center or a police station. A van will come to certain areas to fingerprint applicants who are located far from the nearest fingerprinting location. Your notice from INS will tell you if a van serves your area.

  • Go to the fingerprinting location. Take your notice letter from INS, your Permanent Resident Card, and another form of identification (drivers license, passport, state identification card) with you. Your second form of identification should have your photograph on it.

  • Get your fingerprints taken. Currently, most sites are using ink to take fingerprints. Eventually, every fingerprinting site will use electronic technology to take fingerprints without ink.

  • In order to conduct a criminal background check, INS will send your fingerprints to the FBI. In some cases, the FBI may reject your fingerprints because of the quality of the prints. If the FBI rejects your fingerprints, INS will notify you and schedule a second visit to the fingerprinting site. If your fingerprints are rejected, you will not be asked to pay again. If the FBI rejects your prints twice, you will be asked to provide police clearances for each place you have lived in the past five years. You will need to contact the police departments in the places you have lived to get these clearances.

  • Mail additional documents if INS requests them. While the FBI is checking your background, INS will locate your immigration file. Sometimes, INS may need additional documents from you before they can schedule your interview. If INS needs more information from you, they will either contact the ACS Customer Service Section or send you a letter telling you what they need and where to send it.

  • Wait for INS to schedule your interview. Once everything is ready, INS will schedule you for an interview. They will send you an interview notice in the mail that will tell you the date, time, and place of your interview. It is very important you make every effort to attend the interview

The Interview

Once your application has been processed, INS will schedule you for the interview. The steps of the interview process are as follows:

Receive an appointment for your interview

You will receive a notice in the mail telling you when and where you must appear for your interview. You will not receive a second notice. If you must reschedule your interview, you should directly contact the office where your interview is scheduled by mail as soon as possible. You should explain your situation and ask to have your interview rescheduled. When a new date has been set, INS will send you a new interview notice.


To make sure you get your interview notice, you must notify INS whenever your address changes. Use INS Form AR-11, "Alien’s Change of Address Card" for this purpose

Go to your local office for the interview at the specified time

You should appear at the office where you are to be interviewed before the time of your interview. Many INS offices are crowded so unless you need to, you may not want to bring other people with you. If you fail to appear at your interview without contacting INS, your case will be "administratively closed". If this happens and you do not contact INS within 1 year to reopen your case, your application will be denied.


Rescheduling an interview may add several months to the naturalization process, so try to attend your original interview date.

Provide additional documents if INS requests them

In some cases, INS may ask you to bring additional documents to the interview. These documents will be listed on your appointment letter. If you fail to bring the necessary documents, your case may be delayed or denied.

Take the English and civics test

During your interview, your ability to read, write, and speak English will be tested. You will also be given a civics test to test your knowledge and understanding of U.S. History and Government. See test at following link: The New Redesigned Naturalization Test.


Your English will be tested in one of the following ways:

  • Reading. In order to test your reading ability you may be asked to:

  • Read out loud parts of the N-400;

    Read a set of civics questions and then answer them; or

    Read several simple sentences out loud.

  • Writing. In order to test your writing skills, the INS officer will ask you to write one or two simple sentences (see the The New Redesigned Naturalization Test.)

  • Speaking. Your speaking ability will be tested when you answer questions about yourself and your application during your interview.


During your interview, you will be asked to verbally answer a set of civics questions or to take a written multiple-choice test with up to 20 questions. Please see the The New Redesigned Naturalization Test for all possible questions.

Answer questions about your application and background

At your interview, an INS officer will place you under oath and then ask you about:

  • Your background
  • Evidence supporting your case
  • Your place and length of residence
  • Your character
  • Your attachment to the Constitution
  • Your willingness to take an Oath of Allegiance to the United States

In addition, the INS officer may ask you some other questions to make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements. Be prepared to explain any differences between your application and the other documents you have provided to INS. Remember that you are under oath. Always tell the truth during your interview. If you lie during your interview, you will be denied US citizenship. If you are granted citizenship but then INS finds out that you lied on your application or during your interview, your citizenship may be taken away.

A representative may accompany you to your interview if you have sent a "Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative" (Form G-28). Also, if you are exempt from the English requirements, you may bring an interpreter to the interview. If you have any disabilities, you may bring a family member or legal guardian with you at the discretion of the INS officer.

Receive a decision

After your interview, your application for citizenship will be granted, denied, or continued.


Sometimes INS can tell you if you will be granted citizenship at the end of your interview. In some cases, you may be able to complete the oath ceremony the same day as your interview (where available). Otherwise, you will receive a notice telling you when and where your oath ceremony will be.


The INS officer may also "continue" your case. This means your case is put on hold. If your case is continued, it will add time to your naturalization. The most common reasons for continuation are:

  1. Failing the English and civics tests, and
  2. failing to give INS the documents they need.

When your case is continued, you will be either be asked to

  1. Come to a second interview, usually within 60-90 days of the first interview, or
  2. provide additional documents.

If you do not do what INS asks, your application may be denied.


INS may also deny your application for naturalization. If INS denies your application, you will receive a written notice telling you why. There is an administrative review process for applicants who receive denials. If you feel that you’ve been wrongly denied citizenship, you may request a hearing with an INS officer. Your denial letter will explain how to request a hearing and will include the form you need. The form for filing an appeal is the "Request for Hearing Proceedings Under Section 336 of the Act" (Form N-336).

The Oath of Allegiance

Oath of Allegiance

If INS approves your application for naturalization, you must attend a ceremony and take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. The following are the steps in this process:

Receive a ceremony date

INS will notify you by mail of the time and date of your ceremony. The notice INS sends you is called the "Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony" (Form N-445). In some cases, the INS may give you the option to take the Oath on the same day as your interview. If you decide to take a "same day" oath, INS will ask you to come back to the office later that day. At this time, you will take the Oath and receive your Certificate of Naturalization.

Check in at the ceremony

When you arrive at the ceremony, you will be asked to check in with INS. Try to arrive early. Remember that often there are many other people being naturalized with you who must also be checked in. If you cannot attend the ceremony on the day you are scheduled, you should return the INS notice (Form N-445) to your local INS office. You should include a letter explaining why you cannot be at the ceremony and asking INS to reschedule you.

Return your Permanent Resident Card

You will be required to return your Permanent Resident Card (US Green Card) to INS when you check in for your oath ceremony. You will no longer need your Permanent Resident Card because you will receive your Certificate of Naturalization at the ceremony.

Answer questions about what you have done since your interview

If more than a day has passed between your interview and the ceremony, you will need to answer several questions. These questions will be located on the back of the notice INS sends you (Form N-445). Some of the questions include "Have you traveled outside the United States?" and "Have you claimed exemption from military service?" You should read the questions carefully and mark your answers before you arrive at the ceremony. Answer the questions on the back of the Form N-445 only for the time since your interview.

Take the Oath

You are not a citizen until you have taken the Oath of Allegience. You will take the Oath during the ceremony. An official will read each part of the Oath slowly and ask you to repeat his/her words. The Oath can be found in the section titled "Eligibility Requirements".

Changes to the Oath

You may take the Oath without the words "to bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law…" if you provide enough evidence that you are opposed to fighting on behalf of the United States because of your religious beliefs (this does not apply to the military sponsor). If you provide enough evidence and INS determines that you are opposed to any type of service in the Armed Forces because of your religious beliefs, you may omit the words "to perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by law" (this also does not apply to the military sponsor).

If INS determines you are unable to swear the Oath using the words "on oath," you may replace these words with "and solemnly affirm." Finally, if INS determines you are unable to use the words "so help me God" because of your religious beliefs, you may omit these words.

If you believe you qualify for a modified oath, you should include a letter with your application explaining the situation. INS may also ask you to provide a document from your religious organization explaining its beliefs and stating that you are a member in good standing

Hereditary titles: If you have any hereditary titles or positions of nobility, you must give them up at the oath ceremony.

Receive your Certificate of Naturalization

Once you have taken the Oath, you will receive your Certificate of Naturalization. You may use this document as proof that you are a U.S. citizen.

Obtain a U.S. passport

It is strongly recommended that you obtain a U.S. passport soon after your naturalization ceremony. A passport serves as evidence of citizenship and is easier to carry around than a Certificate of Naturalization. In addition, if you lose your Certificate of Naturalization, it can take up to one year to receive a new certificate. If you do not have a passport, you will not have evidence of citizenship during the time you are waiting for a new certificate. You can get an application for a passport at your oath ceremony or at most post offices.

Related Articles

Military Members U.S. Citizenship Eligibility Requirements
The Army’s New Non-Citizen Recruiting Program For Foreign Health Care Professionals
U.S. Military Now Offers Path to U.S. Citizenship
U.S. Citizenship Through Military Service.
Join the army and become a US citizen in 6 months.

Enter the Green Card Lottery. 55,000 Green Card’s Must Go Each Year. Let us help you reach your dream of becoming an American resident today!

Actual green card
DV2012 diversity visa lottery

Return to USA Diversity Lottery's immigration news page to read more immigration news.

The Green Card Lottery Test

USA Diversity Green Card Test

Take the free test to see if you qualify. If you do, apply for the USA Diversity Visa Green Card Lottery here on the Official USA Diversity Lottery site and your dreams may soon come true. 55,000 diversity immigrant visas (Green Cards) available in the lottery every year. Take the free test NOW!

USA Immigration News

April 6, 2010

Military Members U.S. Citizenship Eligibility Requirements

April 5, 2010

Naturalization process for military members and their spouses

March 12, 2010

President Obama promising to keep working on the immigration overhaul

March 12, 2010

President Obama says he’s still committed to immigration overhaul

March 11, 2010

The American 2010 Green Card Lottery is Now accepting Applications

March 10, 2010

USCIS to Accept H-1B Petitions for Fiscal Year 2011 Beginning April 1, 2010

February 18, 2010

Rule for H-2A Temporary Agricultural Worker Program Announced

February 18, 2010

Recession means 800,000 fewer illegal immigrants in the US

February 3, 2010

Streamlined Citizenship Process for Military Members

January 27, 2010

A new Entrepreneur Visa for US, will add more EB-5 visas

January 14, 2010

Is the Green Card Lottery a National Security Thread

January 11, 2010

Immigration reform would benefit U.S. economy

January 4, 2010

Is Australia on is way to be the best Country to live in

December 30, 2009

The Army’s New Non-Citizen Recruiting Program For Foreign Health Care Professionals

December 28, 2009

Obama facing uphill battle on his 2010 immigration reform

December 14, 2009

Several US Immigration programs extended to 2012

December 8, 2009

The DV2012 Green Card Lottery is Now accepting Applications

November 13, 2009

Denmark offers $20,000 to all maladjusted immigrants to leave

October 28, 2009

Obama will sign bill to extend E-Verify for three years

October 26, 2009

Green Card bill passes for spouses of deceased U.S. citizens

September 22, 2009

President Obama: Legalize illegal’s to allow them health care

September 2, 2009

Green card applications plunge, down 80 percent

September 1, 2009

Microsoft Layoffs Adds More Fuel to H-1B Visa Fire

August 17, 2009

Bring Cash and we will give you a Green Card

August 11, 2009

President Obama: No immigration reform until 2010

August 7, 2009

US Worker Green Card Petitions Down Sharply

July 27, 2009

U.S. Citizenship Through Military Service

July 21, 2009

U.S. Citizenship Through Military Service

June 19, 2009

Obtain a three year residence permit under the Danish Green Card scheme

March 18, 2009

Join the army and become a US citizen in 6 months